ENJOY THE LUXURY OF STAYING IN OUR CASTLE
Events, Wedding, Business Stop for Travellers
A summer residence of the Dukes of Nevers from the 16th century, the old name of this fief is “le Salle” which derives from “Salic”, a legal term established by the Frankish kings. Salic Law is mentioned in Shakespeare's Henry V.
The Château stands on the site of an old fortress which is mentioned in the archives of the Nièvre from the 14th and 15th centuries.
The main building comprises a square tower, a hexagonal tower housing a spiral staircase and a chapel dating from 1508.
The fiefdom of Le Sallay has been owned by several prominent Nivernais families, including the Le Tort dynasty, owners of the Château du Marais at Grimouille, and the Brissons. It was a Brisson who was the first president of the Court of Cassation in 1802. At one time the château was owned by Jean Clémenceau, grandson of former President Georges Clémenceau. In 2009 it came into the hands of Régis and Odile Castagné, who have devoted their efforts to breathing new life into the château and enabling it to be enjoyed by everyone. Guided tours of the Château are available.
Extract from « La Camosine »